Elder Nathan Hubert's Mission Blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

General Conference and... BOOM!!! Spirit. :)

I could say so many good an amazing things about this week, but nothing that I can say will ever be able to compare to how incredible General Conference was for me.  :)  Truly an amazing experience.  The first crazy thing about that is that it was the second General Conference that I've been able to watch on my mission!  Another crazy thing is that I got to see tons of my friends in the Orem Institute Choir in the Saturday Afternoon Session - way to represent you guys!  Also, it was such an amazing testifying Spirit and I loved every moment of it.  :)

But, I'll do a quick run-through of my week though!

Monday was really fun!  We got to play Soccer for P-day again, and I was on a team with 2 other Elders and 2 Sisters, and we were playing a version where you play to 2 and the losers rotate, and once my team got on the court, we were on there for close to 10 games because nobody could score on us!  It was really sweet, and I did really well!  That's my MVP moment of my mission - but I can't compare to my sister Sarah's lacrosse skills that I've been hearing so much about...  ;)  After sports, we got to go have dinner with the Phillips family, a super awesome couple in the ward.  They are super funny and we were able to talk about tons of stuff that we have in common!

Playing at the church gym


Tuesday was kind of a long day, but that is only because we had Zone Training Meeting in Milwaukee the whole day.  We were picked up in the morning by the English Elders and went to the City Branch Building in North-side Milwaukee (super sweet building) and we received a training on using the Book of Mormon in all contacts.  It was cool to have a training on that and to hear the different experiences from the missionaries.  I shared on with Rosa, how she was just listening to the missionaries for a while and liking what they said, but it was not until she received the witness that the Book of Mormon is true that things actually started to improve drastically and she was actually able to progress to where she is now.



After that, we came back to Waukesha and we stopped by Rosa's house because she forgot that we had a lesson at the library.  She was doing well, and had been off of Coffee since we had fasted with her a week ago!  Then that night, we had dinner at the Seneli's home, where Elder Kimzey and Bro. Seneli had a Beat Box Battle - it was pretty cool to see.  :)


Wednesday, if I am able to get any videos or photos to you guys today, I did a video journal!  :)  But quick run-through:  we had Rosa in the morning, which went really well.  She was super excited for Conference this week and even though she's scared, she's set on the 19th to be baptized.  Then, we did service at the Food Pantry, which was fun.  Later, we stopped by Brad and Ana's place for our lesson, where we set some expectations with them, but in the end had to end up dropping them because the only reason he liked listening to us was because we had cool ideas and cool things to say - which is not what we're about!  If he's not going to follow commitments, then we're not going to come by.  That night, we had team-ups with Brother Harless, where we were able to meet with some Less-actives that we'd never met before.  It was good though!


Thursday was good, but when we stopped by our 2 lessons in the morning with Lorena and Jorge and then with Blanca and Ben, nobody was home.  We were able to make contact with Lorena though and schedule a lesson, and then saw Ben later in the day, so I hope that we're able to talk with them again sometime!  We also stopped by a member's house and had a strange experience...  :P  We were standing in the doorstep just to see how they were doing, and the last time we had dinner with this family, we had shared a rap that we had written about the missionaries (as a joke of course).  The kids wanted to hear it again, and we said that we'd only do it if they could guess our first names (because they had previously joking about how our names were Elder and Elder).  So, one kid looks at Elder Schvaneveldt and says "You look like a Jacob!"  And that was his name...  It was crazy!  Then, Sister Schuenke looks at me and says: "And you look like a Nathan."  And they got that one right too!  Super weird, so we did our rap for them and then left...  :P

Later in the day, we visited with Spring and her girls and were able to teach them from the Book of Mormon, then we stopped by Alisia and Devon's house and watched 'The Restoration' with them, and then we talked about it with them, too.  :)


Friday, we did our weekly planning and contacted some referrals, so that was the excitement for that day...  None of them were home, so we just went super out-of-the-way without being able to talk to anyone...  Just one of those days, I guess.


Saturday, we were expecting to watch Conference with Rosa in the morning, but she had to go to a funeral instead, so we're going to watch it with her tomorrow (Sunday session).

But, Conference took up most of our day!  We went to the first session at the Tateoka's home, and then went to the church building in Wales for the next session, and then went to Subway for food, then had the Priesthood session there, too.  It was funny because President Cutler came to our building for the Priesthood Session with his son and that was pretty cool to be able to see him!  :)

Sunday was about the same as Saturday.  Definitely my favorite part of the week was conference.  I just loved so much of it!  I loved how so much of it started with a BANG!  There were so many talks about being a defender of the Faith and having to stand firm and true, leaning and depending on Christ, even if we stand alone.  So true.  Life is hard, and it is going to be getting harder, but with Christ's help, how can we fail?  I know that is true.  I also loved Elder Holland's talk about this gospel not being a smooth gospel.  "If your right hand offends you - cut it off!"  Very straight forward, and very true as well.  I'd love to hear from all of you and about your favorite parts of conference!

I love you all and I know that this gospel is true!  See you later!

--Elder Nate Hubert

-- 

Elder Nathan Hubert

No comments:

Post a Comment